26 February, 2012

The Old Man And The Durian Tree

An old man aged over 80 years old. He was planting a durian tree when he was observed by a neighbour. (A durian is a thorny fruit with a very pungent smell. It is known as the King of Fruits and is very popular in South East Asia)

The neighbour asked the old man “Do you expect to eat durian from that tree?” The durian tree will take about 8 to 10 years to bear fruit.

The old man rested smilingly on his spade. He said “No, at my age I know I won’t. All my life I have been enjoying durians but never from a tree I have planted before. I wouldn’t have had durians if other men have not done have not done what I am doing now. I am just trying to pay the other men who planted durians for me.” No wonder he is so happy.

We should be GIVERS first and GETTERS second in everything we do. We will not only get what we want but will actually be really happy in the end. Because we need to sow first before we can reap.

For whatever a man sows that and that only is what he will reap. It takes faith to give, because at first all you see is what you are sacrificing. It looks like it is going to hurt and that you are losing, but when you do give, acting in simple faith, appreciation and thankfulness for all the God has already given you, then He will bless you even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment